Anxiety is one of the most common emotional challenges in kids today making everyday activities like school, homework, eating, activities, and sleeping a challenge. Sometimes anxiety is part of normal development while at other times it is a symptom of underlying stress. This presentation will discuss:
- the emotional roots of anxiety
- the common and hidden signs of anxiety
- top ten sources of distress for kids today (children to teens)
- six key strategies for supporting anxious kids
- how to cultivate confidence and courage in kids
Dr. Deborah MacNamara is a clinical counsellor specializing in attachment, trauma, and developmental issues in kids of all ages. With over 25 years of experience, she is the Director of Kid’s Best Counselling and on Faculty at the Neufeld Institute where she teaches alongside Gordon Neufeld. She is the author of two books, Rest, Play, Grow: Making Sense of Preschoolers (or anyone who acts like one), and Nourished: Connection, food, and caring for our kids (and everyone else we love), and the children’s picture book, The Sorry Plane.